Friday, December 7, 2012
It didn't take me nearly as long as I thought it would to pick out THE one. I was even able to install the roof rack without assistance as I waited for a young man to trim the bottom and bring it to the car. As nice as he was, his tree-tying skills need work. After he was safely away, I re-tied the ends with real knots and prayed the middle was secure.
The tree is now safely home and having a drink on the front porch. While it was resting, I thought I'd tidy it up a bit. Caught in its green tresses was foliage that had been shed by some of its former neighbors. I found pine needles and leaves from at least 2 types of oak. Up next to the trunk, I spied what I thought was a wad of grass. As I pulled it out, I realized it was an empty nest. I don't know if it has ever secured a family of little birds. It appears still loosely woven rather than pressed together from habitation. I was tempted to leave it in place, perhaps filling it with a small glass occupant. Then I concluded that the temptation to the feline members of the household might be too much resist.