Wednesday, March 19, 2008

My Office @ 5:30 pm Wednesday

I had to come to church early tonight: my girls are in Bible Drills and the make-up church drill is tonight. One is trying a 2nd time to make it to the next level, and the other made it and is here for moral support for a friend who is trying again. They are in a different part of the church. I'm in my office. The youth praise team is getting ready on the other side of my wall: drums, guitars, vocals. I love the fact that they are willing to use their abilities, that for some of them may not be perfected and for others may even be brand new, to lead others to praise the Lord. Sometimes the only "skill" our Lord is looking for in us is the willingness to be used by Him; the only ability He truly needs is availability. The song is coming together, now, and it's one I know. I can hear the vocal: "...Just the sound of Your Name is a beautiful thing and I love You, I love You, I love You." When I hear them DOING things for God at the ages of 15,16,17, I realized how much time I wasted waiting to "grow up."

Well, L just found out she didn't make it and she's taking it pretty hard. At 10, it's hard to accept that 'school skills' like memorizing and reciting don't really make or break you in life because they do seem to in school. And when you have more school ahead of you than behind you, it can seem hopeless. I wish I could make her understand what I know: the people who do really well in school don't necessarily do 'well' in life and just because you can't pass a test doesn't mean you can't make a happy life. I think the bright side is that by this time tomorrow, she'll not give this one thing another thought (until next year.)

No comments:

Post a Comment