Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Golden Ratio Lace Baby Blanket

Back in January, Mr. H and I went down to his Mom's house to meet up with our eldest and and her husband for dinner.  It was their first free weekend in a while. Our FSIL (FavoriteSonInLaw)'s sister's wedding was New Year's Eve and, December being what it is every year, they were ready for a no stress outing. And they had been keeping a secret!

As we sat in Sr. Mrs. H's den, our eldest got up, handed me this ball of yarn, and said with a smile, "Now you can start knitting baby things."

Her sisters, as well as her newly-wed SIL, had been informed a few days earlier (which explained why my other 2 girls would not answer my calls for those few days and would only reply to texts: they were afraid they would spill the beans!)

I had already been toying with the idea of designing a lace pattern to make a scarf, but hadn't made much progress. Now I had a purpose!

The basic lace pattern came about over the next week. I think of it as 0, 1, 2 for one row, followed by 1, 2, 0. The 0 is a yarn over, 1 is knit 1, and 2 is knit 2 together. Then a blanket design began to materialize in my head.  The Golden Ratio has always intrigued me, so I started with that in mind.

I was so eager to get started that I didn't really plan well.  I cast on my stitches and started a bottom border before the final design had come together. My finished blanket is a bit different than the written pattern that is attached below. The center border is wider than it should be and the top and bottom borders aren't wide enough.


I had just gotten to the top border of the lower left square when we discovered that the baby is a boy. I thought that deserved celebrating for Mr. H's sake! I had some blue left from a project a few years back that would co-ordinate nicely with the mostly white blanket.

In the process, I discovered that I am not adept at intarsia knitting! My project was no longer portable and the 3 balls of twisting yarn  gave me a headache! Luckily, the blue box is relatively small, and I was back to a single ball pretty quickly. The instructions don't include any color changes. I didn't feel confident enough to guide someone else through that.

Now that the blanket is finished, I thought I'd spend a little time writing it out.

If you'd like the PDF, click here.

If you find any errors, or need clarification, please let me know. I'll fix or explain anything I can.

1 comment:

  1. A great blog, it has a lot of useful information to me
    Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
    As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.

    ReplyDelete