Saturday, July 22, 2023

Some Mississippi Squares

 I've been working on so many different projects lately, that I haven't been able to concentrate on any specific one. I got the blanket and elephant done for El's little one just in time to learn about Em having her #2 due at the end of November. That blanket is now finished as well, but I'm undecided as to what sort of stuffie I'll make for the Sprout. I have decided what sort of Christmas stocking I'll make, though, and that was inspired by the Mississippi Squares.

Here are a few of the squares I've finished so far:

Live Oak

Pine Tree

Mississippi Outline

Pelican gliding over waves
I have several more graphed out. 

I've learned some things about gansey stitch grouping in the process. A vertical straight line will disappear if it's just one stitch wide (think ribbing, because that's exactly what ribbing is designed to do.) I had originally planned to do the Mississippi Outline as just a line around the edge, but then decided to make it solid for better visibility. 

Overall, I'm pleased with the progress so far. My main objective is to have enough finished by 2024 George County Fair time. This year's fair entry is the crochet Traveling Squares afghan. I finished it earlier this spring, thanks to yarn sourcing assistance from all 3 daughters. (I unknowingly picked a yarn that was discontinued so they all went shopping at their local stores to see what was still available.)

I'll post all my fair entries when it's close to October.

No comments:

Post a Comment