Sunday, July 23, 2023

Stocking for the Sprout

 I've wanted to try something in the Gansey style since I first learned about it. I gave it a try with a sample, which I thought could be a drink cozy, but it got rather out of hand and would be better suited to a bottle because it's MUCH too tall for a can. 


It was a good sample and I learned a few things. But it's been sitting on my kitchen table or lurking in the bottom of my purse taunting me for too long. It was time to do some serious planning.

I have knit or crocheted Christmas stockings for everyone in the family. I've completed 13 so far. This Christmas, we'll need 1 more. Actually, we need 2 more than last year, but one of those is already done. I think Em's baby will be the perfect recipient of this new style for several reasons: 1) We don't know the gender, so I won't be tempted to go with a girly or boyish theme: and 2) All 3 of their stockings are knitted rather than crocheted, so it'll fit with the family theme. In fact, the stocking Em requested several years ago when I started this, is a Gansey-ish design. It has her dog's silhouette done in purl stitches on a stockinette background. Perfect! 

Now to plan the design. I have noticed that this style shows up best with lighter colored yarn. It seems like wool rather than something fuzzier shows up better, too. I decided on Fisherman's Wool by Lionbrand. I found images of charts for classic Gansey motifs and put them together in Stitchfiddle. (what a great tool!)





No comments:

Post a Comment