Friday, February 25, 2022

Approaching the Angel

 When I was first introduced to the concept of tatting, I came upon a picture of a 3-D angel that fascinated me. THAT’S what I wanted to learn how to do! But almost every pattern I could find was flat. How did one go about getting results in 3 dimensions that tapered at the top?


Yesterday I was going through my beginner instruction book to see if I had missed any lessons to practice on. Nope, but I noticed that a small flat medallion at the end (which I had already done in white) had been done in the book in green and turned into a small Christmas wreath.  There just happened to be a ball of green thread sitting at my elbow so I decided to do a bit of practice.  


 

I’m not sure what I did differently on the new green one than I did on the first white one, but something was definitely different! Even though the white one had a mistake on one of the joins, it laid flat like the picture. This new green one just simply would not! I looked at stitch counts and everything seemed to be correct. Was it the tension or just the different thread itself? Who knows…..but….there it was! That 3-D effect I had been looking for! Now to work with that. 


I made a prototype last night. It is NOT pretty! (Hence no photo that I’m willing to share yet) But it is a beginning in my quest!


So stay tuned to this same Tat-Channel! (If you watched Batman in the 60’s you’ll see what I did there.)




No comments:

Post a Comment