Thursday, September 6, 2007

What Am I?

I was thinking today about all those things Jesus said "I am ..." about. The gospel of John is full of them. You know, "I am the way and the truth and the life" (John 14:6) and "I am the light of the world." (John 8:12) Well, it lead me to this: If I am supposed to be imitating Him, trying to be as much like Him as I can, how much of His 'I am' am I reflecting?

Am I being a light to those around me or am I spreading darkness?

Am I showing anyone the way to life? Am I telling the truth in love? That's a really hard one, because sometimes the truth doesn't sound like love. But one without the other can be dangerous.

What about "I am the bread of life"? (John 6:35) Wow, that one works on so many levels! Am I healthy for other people to be around or am I poisoning them? Am I providing them with something that will help them grow? Do I have enough salt in me (Mark 9:50) or do I leave a bad taste in their mouth? (That one really speaks to me because I've made homemade bread and forgotten the salt. What a waste of time and ingredients! It just doesn't satisfy.)

Several years ago, I made a crossword picture of the 'I am's from John. I'll see if I can post a picture of it here this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment