Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Getting Around

My mom has Lupus. Until recently, she's dealt with it pretty well. Then, about a month ago, her hands lost most of their feeling, and now she can't drive. My brother lives in the next county from her and I live a couple of hours away. Neither of us can be there to take her everywhere she needs to go. She has some really great neighbors, but even they can't do everything. I started checking into the options.

Rankin County Human Resources Department has a bus that will pick you up and take you where you need to go and then come back and get you when you're done. The price varies, depending on how far you go, but $6 will get you a trip into Jackson. Not bad. Mom's day is Tuesday. Call on Friday and let them know and they'll come get you Tuesday. She tried it out this week going to get her hair cut and fixed.

She called me early Tuesday morning, wanting to know if I thought they'd really come pick her up. I didn't hear from her so I knew they must have come. She made it to the appointment and didn't mind waiting about 30 minutes after she was done. On the way back, someone on the bus noticed it was lunchtime, so they all stopped and went into a chicken place to have lunch. The driver was so nice: she wouldn't let Mom struggle with a tray, she carried it for her. Mom told me about a man and his wife fussing about his car keys and why they were in the wife's purse in the first place. Then someone remembered they needed to stop by the store for something, so they all went in and got something. (Mom's cats are thankful. They were out of cat food.) Mom said she finally got home about 3 that afternoon. She was tired, but it sounded like she had a good time.

I know she was scared to do something like this for the first time. But she did it, and I'm so proud of her. It looks like she's made some new friends (or at least has found some entertainment!)

It's scary to think that something we take for granted, like the ability to drive anywhere, anytime we want, might not always be an option for us. I'm so thankful for people like that driver who took such good care of my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment