Monday, April 21, 2008

Not Like That One, Please

Taking a tip from a friend of mine, I'm going to say what I learned from the bible lately: I don't want a legacy like Jeroboam's.

Last year I started reading the bible straight through. I'm not using any "plan" other than the ribbon bookmark that is attached to the bible. I didn't want to HAVE to read a certain number of verses or chapters to keep up with anything. Now, I'm in 1 Kings, having survived Leviticus and Numbers (you can tell, they aren't my favorites). The two books of Kings are about the kings that followed David and Solomon and how Israel was separated into 2 kingdoms: Judah & Israel. I started noticing that the essence of one verse was repeated over and over: 1 Kings 15:34
"He did evil in the eyes of the LORD, walking in the ways of Jeroboam and in his sin, which he had caused Israel to commit." Those words are applied to king after king.

Wow! How would you like to be remembered throughout history with that thought!

1 comment: