Saturday, October 10, 2009

Odd Evening!

Yesterday evening was not the usual Friday night.

When Mr. H pulled into the yard yesterday evening, there was someone on another bike behind him. I thought maybe one of his friends had seen him ride by and followed him. Nope! Some guy out just riding around looking for fun roads (you have to be a biker to really get this) saw him turn down our road and followed. Bikers are a gregarious bunch, so he just followed into the yard. When I went out onto the porch they were talking bikes. What kinds have you owned, how long have you had this one, what will your next bike be......? Bikers are just like that!

Right here is where you can tell that I'm not a real biker, because I would tell you exactly what he was riding: all I know is Yamaha sport bike of some sort, with a chain and not shaft drive. They discussed where they had been. Certain roads are famous among bikers. He and Mr. H both have dragon decals.

Turns out that this gentleman lives in Semmes, just across the Alabama line from us. He goes to North Mobile Baptist Church (which I know has an awesome choir!!) He is a cabinet maker (when he's not out riding). He had recently redone a kitchen in Lucedale and wondered if we knew the family. We didn't. We asked him if he knew the guy that did our cabinets. He didn't. But when we invited him in, he was very impressed with our kitchen cabinets, which go up to the 10-foot ceiling.

He gave us his business card and we gave him our phone number. He and some of his friends do a Thursday morning bible study somewhere in Saraland. Mr. H is invited.

After he left, I came in to see about supper. A few minutes later, El announced that M & M, some friends of ours from church, were here. They were on their way back from Mobile and decided to stop by. Turns out they had 2 spare tickets to Praise in the Park.

About 7:15 last night, the power went out due to the storm. It's not unusual for it to flicker, but we were out for about 2 hours. I discovered in the process that the phone number for Singing River Electric is not in the new phone book! El found it in the older one that's still in the kitchen. Since our kitchen phone is cordless, I used my cell phone. I started out calling the phone company to report the power outage, realized my mistake and hung up. A few minutes later I found that the phones were out, too. I called AT&T back. They told me it would be fixed by the 20th. I remember when phone problems were promised to be fixed by the next day and within a few hours they were resolved. I was concerned by the 20th, because last time they said it would be fixed by some day 10 days out, it was 12 days before it was fixed! But it was fixed about the time the electricity came on. I suspect a limb went across some utility lines.

We played "go fish" and taught El how to play gin by lamp light. (Those camping lanterns we got this summer came in handy!)

We'll see what today holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment