Friday, May 21, 2010

Flower Boxes

My Mom and I didn't have very similar tastes on many things.  And after having been married with a house of my own for almost 28 years, I don't have the need nor the space for much of what's in Mom's house.

There is a notable exception, however.

I have always loved these concrete flower boxes.  I seem to remember seeing them at my Grandmother Louise's house, but I'm not certain.  I don't think they are something Mom would have bought herself, but she had a hard time letting go of her mother's things.

My mom did not have a green thumb, by the way.  I can't remember anything specific she ever planted in these boxes.  But I've always liked them.

When we built our house, we used a lot of concrete.  Our floors are stained concrete. Our counter tops in the kitchen and bathrooms are concrete (mixed in a wheel barrow in the front yard and toted inside in 5 gallon buckets to be poured into the mold Mr. H built).  When the girls asked what we were going to do for a fireplace surround, their dad said, "Concrete, of course."  He meant it as a joke, but we actually did make it from concrete, too!

So the concrete flower boxes are right at home here.  All the flowers I planted in them are doing well (so far!)  The plantain lily even has a flower bud waiting to bloom.  I'm excited to see it.  I'll post pictures when it opens.

No comments:

Post a Comment