Monday, June 4, 2012

I Am With You - VBS Day 1


Every day this week, I'm going to post my Mad Science notes.  It's probably a bit disjointed for reading, but it covers what we talked about and has links for ideas that you can do at home.

Today's story is from Daniel 3:1, 4-28
God is with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.

Truth learned from today's story: 
"Because they knew God was with them, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego stood boldly for what was right.  When we accept God’s promise to be with us, we can stand firm in whatever circumstances we face, know we too are never alone."

Today's memory verse - Isaiah 41:10 
 So do not fear, for I am with you;
    do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

I really like that part at the end:  “I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”  Think about what you do with your hand:  not just things that require both hands, but your “doing” hand.  Most people are right handed.  (You lefties, I understand your frustration.  Mr. H is a lefty and so is Dr. T and my new SIL). 
God specified His right hand because that was understood as the hand of purpose.  If you’re going to pick up a pen or pencil to write something, you pick it up with a specific hand, your working or dominant hand. 
Today, we’re going to make something with our hands:  Paper Airplanes.  I have a few different types to show you.  Some work better for some purposes than others.  Some don’t even look likeairplanes!
Show them how to make Nakamura Loch. Explain dihedralangle (Y profile), elevator, and rudder.
Sometimes bad things happen to us.  But even though those things might be a bit painful, they might be happening to help us.  If I use my hands to tear the back wing of the air plane it might seem like I’m damaging it.   However, if I make those tears to create some elevator flaps, it will keep the plane from diving into the ground.  Let God keep you in the palm of His righteous right hand.  That’s where the most useful tools do their best work.
Here are some other websites that have different airplane designs:



No comments:

Post a Comment