Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Another Post about Knitting (sort of)


Talking about knitting yesterday got me to thinking about a certain bible verse:  Psalm 139:13
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

I must admit, the idea of God knitting intrigues me.  After all, my favorite way of envisioning the Creator is this section from the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel:

How easy to imagine some divine needles in that Hand!

And that started a new train of thought.  I looked at what goes into a knitting project.  There is the idea of what the finished project will be.  There is the joy of the creative process.  There is the tactile satisfaction of feeling the needles and the yarn moving through your fingers.

And the choices:  the color and texture and weight of the yarn, the size and style of needles to get the ideal end dimensions.

I can imagine our Heavenly Father making the same decisions about each one of His children.

He chooses to knit some from soft warm yarn in an even pattern to bring comfort to others.

He selects a durable fiber and an open weave for those He knows will enjoy hard work.

For those who will use more thinking power than muscle power, He works out an intricate internal design.

His children are all different, yet all come from their Father's hand.  They are all knit with love and care . . . even those who seem to have a slipped stitch or a flaw in the pattern.  None of those are accidents on His part.  He has a plan for weaving us together . . . . for folding us over one another to create something entirely new . . . . for using the strengths or advantages of one to complement the very different assets of another.

For what purpose has He knit you?

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Thanks for posting this...I felt God speak directly to me through this! Love and miss you! Monica

    ReplyDelete