Friday, October 19, 2007

Insights from My Eldest

I talked to my oldest daughter last night. That's not unusual. She told me about her interesting day. That's not unusual either, although the day itself certainly was. There were tornado watches all around Mississippi State. Her single Thursday class was canceled and she was "encouraged" not to leave the dorm for several hours.

Being an intelligent girl (and a meteorology student as well), she kept an eye on official weather sites. She knew when the watches were canceled and it was safe to bail out. She and a friend attend a BSU bible study on Thursday nights and that's where they went.

As we talked last night, she told me something that she had learned at the bible study. They were talking about marriage, discussing the verses in Colossians and Ephesians about submitting and loving. She knows how lots of women today feel about that word "submit." Then they talked about some of the basic differences in men and women. Men, for the most part, want respect more than love. Women, generally speaking, value the love more than the respect. In essence, the bible is telling married couples to give each other what the other needs and values most. It made so much sense to her. And it is valuable truth. I know it's true in my marriage. I know my husband respects me, but I need to feel and hear the love. He knows I love him, but he needs to see and hear the respect for his worth.

I have high hopes for my daughter's future. She has a head start on so many things.

3 comments:

  1. She sounds like an intelligent girl. You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the waitress at Primos with the disabled hand. She worked at the Primos on Capitol Street back in the late 60's and early 70's. Years later, we were at Big Bill's Seafood Buffet on Highway 25 and I ran into her. She had moved somewhere up Highway 25 north of Jackson to be near some relatives and had retired. She remembered me from Primos and, of course, I remembered her and recognized her immediately. That has probably been 8 or 9 years ago. She could work circles around some who had full use of both hands.

    My oldest child, Donna, lives in Oxford and has 4 children, 3 boys, age 13, 11, 11 and a daughter 1 year old. She said the warning sirens went off last night, but they didn't really get any real bad weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always ate at Primos after shopping at Parisian's for Easter or Christmas dresses. It was a annual event for me and Grandma Louise.

    ReplyDelete