Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Wild Weekend



This past weekend was action packed. Have you ever hosted a sleepover with seven 7th grade girls (plus the little sister and her friend)? There was running and squealing and jumping and squealing and just plain squealing and squealing. I picked them all up from school (did I mention that I have a mini-van?) and we looked like a sardine wagon. I don't think there has ever been that much weight in that vehicle! We almost didn't make it over the lip of the parking lot. When we got to our house, I know our neighbors thought we were a circus act (you know, where the clowns keep unloading and unloading from the tiny little car.)

Dinner was easy though: bonfire, hot dogs, and s'mores. I have found that if you can get them all out of the house, they will stay out to play in the dark. Hide and Seek, excuse me, Man Hunt (Hide & Seek is for little kids) is a ton of fun in the dark when it's cool and clear outside. They finally came in about 10:30 for Mr. H's cheesecake and presents. Then they had movies to watch. Mr. H and I went to bed. At some point after 2:30 a.m. (I guess the movies were over) I had to go shush them up. But all in all, they are a great group of girls. Several of them we have known for at least 3 or 4 years. One, we've known since she was 2 years old.

It was tough to get them moving the next morning. I don't think they went to sleep until after 4. But there were more things to do this weekend. The eldest came home for her sister's party and we had to go shopping for some winter shoes. She and I both got some Sperry Top-Siders. My last pair was purchased for Christmas 1978. They lasted for about 20 years. I'm hoping for similar longevity in this pair.

Sunday was our church bike ride. We left right after church and headed to Penn's in Petal for catfish. It was a gorgeous day for a ride. We go back roads, usually 2 lane, for these rides. Our pastor was in the lead. He took some pictures along the way. You can see them here. Look for a post on 10/28 called "The Ride."

Sunday night was also our monthly KidStuf presentation. We had special guest Curt Hale from Pinelake Church to come do some of his music. Curt has led our Kid's Camp for several summers and is a favorite of my kids. Curt's wife Noel came with him and they led the music portion of our evening service. Wow! As good as Curt is on his own, they are even better together!

When I got home Sunday night, I was ready for the weekend to be over. It was great, but it was long.

No comments:

Post a Comment