Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Not Proud of This

Yesterday morning I saw something on my way to work that I was ashamed to see in my community. I don't believe it was a coincidence that I saw this display on Inauguration Day. It was a flagpole flying 2 flags: an American flag and a Rebel flag. Now, it's not unusual to see that combination around here, but this particular arrangement caught my attention. The Rebel flag was above and the American flag was underneath and turned upside down. That, and the poster displayed in the yard with a racist website printed on it (which I will NOT post here) really left no doubt about the intentioned message of the property owner.

I suppose it is BECAUSE we live in a free country that people feel the liberty to be downright ugly. There really is no place for ugliness of that kind. People should have better manners.

And because we DO live in America, where we are free to express our ideas, I guess I'll have to look at it until they decide to take it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment