Thursday, May 1, 2008

National Day of Prayer

Today is the National Day of Prayer. Along with that, at our church, we are having a week of prayer: 24/7 from this past Sunday at 7 am straight through to this coming Sunday at 7 am. We have a room set up with subdued lighting and a white noise generator to help keep out distractions. There are notebooks to record praises and prayers for others, from fellow church members & local churches, all the way to international missionaries and national government leaders. We sign up for 1 hour time slots (you can claim as many as you want).

I remember thinking, the first time we did this, 'How can I pray for a solid hour?' I was so suprised when I looked up at the clock : 40 minutes had gone by and I wasn't even close to being finished with all the material.

I've discovered over the years that most people have really good intentions when it comes to their prayer life. It's just that LIFE gets in the way. Here are a few tips that might help out:
  1. If you're old school (not into technology) get a notebook and keep it where you'll see it. That might be beside your bed, on the kitchen table, in your purse. Write down things you're thankful for, people who need lifting up, things you're hoping for. Let that book remind you, every time you see it, that you are in need of contact with your Heavenly Father.
  2. If you aren't intimidated by technology, let it help you. I have a reminder in Outlook that comes up everyday to remind me to pray for my husband and my pastor. If I'm busy right that minute, I can click snooze. It'll come back up later.
  3. "I know I should pray, but I don't know what to pray for or how to get started." Somehow, we've really not been taught to pray. Even the disciples who were with Jesus every day, had the same problem. He gave them a starting point, twice. Remember Who God is and treat Him accordingly. He knows what you need and what you're up against. Let Him know that you realize you need His help. Nothing, NOTHING you tell Him will surprise or shock Him. He already knows it!
  4. Just talk to Him. You don't need special words. If you don't speak King James' English to anyone else, why would you speak it to God? Just talk, or if you're like me, just write. I tend to stay focused if I'm writing. Start out like you're writing a letter and soon you'll be surprised to see the letter becoming a conversation.
  5. Just do it... start today... now. A wise man once said, "Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."

1 comment:

  1. Oooh! Using Outlook to pop up reminders is a great idea! I am going to use that one.

    ReplyDelete