Friday, May 23, 2008

Nice Way to Start the Day

This morning I noticed that the hanging basket with the house wren nest in it needed water. All the other baskets had been set on the ground under the edge of roof to catch the rain last night. This is one of the nests that L has been checking on daily since we discovered it under construction several weeks ago.

I got the watering can and started pouring it on the side away from the nest. About that time I heard rustling coming from the nest. Four little birds launched themselves, one right after the other, and headed for the bird bath under the pecan tree about 15 yards away. Mr. H went in to tell L, who came out to see. I pointed out the 1 little bird I could see on the rim of the bird bath. L started walking slowly toward it. She got within 6 feet and stopped to look. The little bird never flew away! L stood there looking at it for a few minutes, then turned around. She came back with a big smile and said, "I've never been that close to a bird that could fly!"

No comments:

Post a Comment