Saturday, August 2, 2008

Dad 's Rudolph Hatchet

This is my dad about 19 years ago. I can remember because it was the first Christmas after we moved from Virginia back to Mississippi. At the time, Mr. H, our eldest, and I were living with the Sr. H's, waiting for our house in Virginia to sell. The Sr. H's were planning to go to Pearl to visit Sr. Mrs. H's mother and offered to invite my folks to come down while they were away. I don't think I have any other pictures of my dad at Mr. H's parents' house.I can't remember if Dad asked for a hatchet that year or, if for some reason, we just thought it would be a good idea. Now, wrapping a hatchet is a tricky business. If it's not in a box to mask it's very distinctive shape, you know what you're getting.

This was a very "crafty" period in my life. I turned the hatchet into Rudolph with brown paper, googly eyes, and twigs from the yard. My dad was appropriately impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment