Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Knight in a Hawaiian Shirt

I was in Wal-Mart at lunchtime and remembered that we were just about out of cat food. I went back and sure enough there was the only brand my cats will eat. They had lots of the small sized bags right where I could reach them and just one solitary bag of the medium size that I usually get and it was all the way at the back of the shelf in a tunnel created by the bags on either side. Being vertically challenged, I knew it was out of my reach.

There were 2 people having a conversation at the end of the aisle, one of whom was a tall man who appeared about my age. I know quite a few people in Lucedale by sight, but I had never seen the man before. They were talking about his church and then her church and then started to part ways. I asked the man if he could help me reach something and he smiled and said, "Sure." Well, as it turned out, it was too far back for him, too. He reached in so that his head and shoulders were under the shelf above and still couldn't reach. But this gentleman was determined to help. He went around to the end of the aisle (since what I wanted was about the 3rd product from the end) and tried to reach the back from there and push it forward. No luck. However, there was a rake on top of the dog food stacked at the end, so he tried that. Still no luck! A lady from our church saw me there and asked if I was causing trouble and I admitted that I was. She said what we needed was a small child to crawl up into the tunnel and get it. She actually asked a little girl on the next aisle, and being the intelligent child that she was, she declined the proposal!

I decided to take the small bag and come back later in the week for a larger one. But I learned that there really ARE nice friendly people around that will help you when you are in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment